Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Five Long Years...Five Short Years


Some days have seemed so long. When John was working 16 and I was home by myself functioning on NO sleep with three little ones I never thought the day would end. I kept reminding myself don't wish this time away.

We prayed for a baby for five years. Those five years were painful and sad, each month a struggle to go on. Friends and co-workers became pregnant and I was happy yet it always felt like salt on an already sore wound. Each trip to Walmart where I ran into a pregnant teenager felt as if God was simply mocking my pain. Everynight I would lay in bed and pray to God, just give us one healthy baby.

However in August of 2003 we found out that I was in the nurses words "REALLY PREGNANT". Within two weeks we found out that "REALLY PREGNANT" meant triplets. We were thrilled yet nervous, wondering how would we take care of three babies at once. ((People still ask me to this day how we do it)) Each day of the pregnancy was a rollercoaster. A triplet pregnancy is extremely high risk and each day that I carried those babies was a struggle. I began having contractions in November and was put on bed rest.

Bed rest sounds like a blast til someone actually has to do it. It's no wonder my kids love the Golden Girls because I watched it about 6 times a day while I was in the bed.

While I was pregnant we had two very sad things happen, Johns Grandma Reynolds passed away. She knew I was pregnant and having triplets but we didn't know what they were at that point. Days before my babies were born Johns Grandad Reynolds passed away. His Grandparents both meant the world to us. His Grandad couldn't believe I was going to be able to carry 3 babies and he was happy to know that there was two girls and one boy and his Great Grandson would be Richard McKinley.

On Feb 9 John went with me to the Doctor and we were given bad news. I had pre-eclampsia. This is a condition that affects the bloodpressure and also hurts the babies nutrition, I was then put into the hospital. After 2 days and receiving shots to strengthen their lungs we were told they would need to be born. They would be better off in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) because my body wasn't able to take care of them any longer.
They told us every bad thing that could happen with them being born at 29 weeks.

On Feb 11, Johns Grandfather's funeral was held. That same day his 3 Great Grandchildren were born via c-section. I swear that on his way to Heaven he gave Buddy his ears :). Many family members and friends were there. At 2:17 Payton Noelle was born weighing in at 2 lbs and 9 ounces. At 2:18 Rylee Gray was born weighing in at 2 lbs 5 ounces. At 2:19 Richard McKinley (buddy) was born weighing 1 lb 13 ounces. They were very small. They were put on respirators to help them breath.

Months of going to the NICU daily followed. Not being allowed to hold them. Not being able to see them whenever I wanted. Being 60 miles away at times. Those days passed slowly.

April finally came and the flowers at the hospital were all in bloom. When they were born there was snowy weather, it was hard to believe we had watched a season pass. The girls came home April 15 and we were delighted. Two weeks later little brother came home as well.

Those first few days are a blur. I'm pretty sure I have no memory of how we did it. We were the most tired we have ever been. We fed them every 4 hours for months and months to help them gain weight.

The first 2 years we mostly stayed home. Going out as you can imagine was a difficult task.

Once they were big enough to walk on their own and stay with us we started taking them places. One of the biggest reasons we wanted to have children would be to let them experience as many different places and things that they possibly could. We went on many trips and have done many awesome things.

All of a sudden they are five years old. They are still tiny for their age but are developmentally perfect. I am blessed that they are able to go to school and experience the chance to get an education. I loved school and I want them to as well.

The five years that we suffered waiting to have ONE BABY was a nightmare, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. The five years that we have had the opportunity to get to know these three perfect little people have flown by. I hope that I have instilled in them all the things that they need to know to be able to have a great first day. Parenthood is a blessing, it is a gift, and I thank God for each and every day that I have with them. Whether the days past slow or fast I just want them to be the best that they could have.

1 comment:

  1. Tiffany, that made me cry! My best friend had twins at 28 weeks--a girl and a boy and lost the little girl after a few days. You are a very lucky lady and your children are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete